Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: December 7, 1941
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:25 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

My dad's recollections:
“On December 7, 1941, Sunday Afternoon, The Jackson Athletic Association gym was holding its weekly sparring sessions in preparation for the Golden Gloves Boxing Tournament to be held in January as it was each year. This was held in the Gym which was the converted pool in the basement of the Jackson County Building which had been The Elks Lodge before it went bankrupt and was sold to the county. The afternoon started uneventfully when suddenly people burst in saying "the Japs have bombed Pearl Harbor". Immediately the action stopped and everyone gathered beside an old radio to hear the news. We listened to the reports and some of us learned where Pearl Harbor was and some of the significance of the event. Most of us took our showers and went home to listen to more news although Many of the older boys said we'll go down in the morning and enlist in the Marines.
Monday morning the Marine office and the Army and Navy Offices were overwhelmed with men and boys trying to be the first to enlist. I went back to school while others were given enlistment papers and told to come back later. When I was interviewed they saw my eyes, glasses and all ,they said go back to school and graduate and maybe they will reduce the eye requirement and allow me to enlist. Ray Benson, Don Bronson , Billy Belden were accepted but were required to wait for a call because the Camps were filled.
I went back to school and graduated at the end of January. None of the services would accept me because of the eye requirement. I got a job as an engineering file clerk at Sparks Withington Company who had contracted with the Army to build the Link Trainer, an aviation training device, so there was much to be done on that job. In June the Navy reduced the eye requirement and the day I was to register for the draft, I enlisted. They gave me 14 days to get my affairs in order and report to the post office at 6 AM to board a bus to the Federal Center in Detroit.”

Post subject: Re: December 7, 1941
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks for sharing.
Our company has planned quite a few reunions for veterans that were part of Pearl Harbor. The USS West Virginia was one of them. I travelled to their reunions in the early 1990s. Around 2002, Mike and I went to Hawaii and stayed the first two nights in Honolulu so we could see the Arizona Memorial. It was really cool on the boat trip over to hear the recorded narration by one of the USS West Virginia veterans that I'd met a decade before.
Such Heroes and truly the Greatest Generation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Donna,
My dad ended up an aerographer's mate (weather forecaster) and was a "plank-owner" on the USS Cascade (AD16) a destroyer tender, and sailed out of San Fran for Pearl Harbor before spending the rest of the war in the South Pacific with the fleet. I have an excellent topless photo of a Hawaiian hula girl dad had in his things.... :oops: :oops: This coming Saturday would have been dad's 94th birthday were he still living.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:20 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Love the old stories. I will inherit some military things, medals from Mom's second husband. I remember seeing a book of some protocol things and what to do if you were captured and what not to say. Gerry's kids doesn't want them, and have disassociated themselves with Mom so I guess I will inherit and not sure what to do with, maybe give to a Legion? I don't even know where they live, never even met his daughter :? otherwise I'd do a drive by and leave on their doorstep.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:30 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

8) Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:24 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes, thank you for sharing this, Tom. Donna, you have a nice memory too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

May they rest in peace. George recalls sitting around the radio with his family when the news came.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:39 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

karen1 wrote:
Love the old stories. I will inherit some military things, medals from Mom's second husband. I remember seeing a book of some protocol things and what to do if you were captured and what not to say. Gerry's kids doesn't want them, and have disassociated themselves with Mom so I guess I will inherit and not sure what to do with, maybe give to a Legion? I don't even know where they live, never even met his daughter :? otherwise I'd do a drive by and leave on their doorstep.

Karen, check w/ military museums too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:55 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

DonnaLee wrote:
karen1 wrote:

Karen, check w/ military museums too.

If you know hometown, county or province, try local historical societies or museums. Likely would need some detail: years of service, rank, military occupation,etc. would hate to see things like that lost. God luck

Your life is your story. Write well. Edit often.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:38 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

http://ww1.canada.com/after-the-war/can ... everything

They do take all medals though.

And we have our own museum right here, a good place to start I guess.

http://armymuseumhalifax.ca/

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks for sharing Tom...The Greatest Generation!