It is currently Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:35 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

In the Netherlands there is a story developing regarding Aruba Airlines.

Aruba Airlines was used to forcefully deport at least two dissidents from Cuba to Guyana (through Aruba). The UN are now investigating this accusations.

During the investigation by Dutch journalists they found out that, contrary to the Aruban law that demands Aruba Airlines to be owned by Arubans, it is owned by a Venezuelan businessman that also has an American passport.

This means that Aruba Airlines is using all perks you have as a Dutch airline without proper legal ground. It also means that it is allowed to fly on the States based on false grounds.

The fact that the owner is from Venezuela and the strong ties between Venezuela and Cuba, is probably the reason why the Cuban government is able to use Aruba Airlines to forcefully deport dissidents.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Wow! Thank you Ingrid! Any chance someone will deal with this and Aruba Airlines will be shut down?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
Wow! Thank you Ingrid! Any chance someone will deal with this and Aruba Airlines will be shut down?

I guess it depends on if the USA will take measures now that it becomes known that Aruba Airlines is owned by a Venezuelan businessman. The Aruba government is stating that all is done within the law, but it seems it is not. If the USA forbids Aruba Airlines to fly on the States, it might be the end of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Very interesting. I wonder if Trump knows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:28 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Since Aruba Airlines is now the only (semi-?) reliable airline operating between the ABC islands, I hope they continue to stay in business! I know for me, it's too far to swim to Curacao and Bonaire :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:48 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Aruba Airlines only has a flight to Miami in the US. I do not believe it will be the end of it since most of the flights are in the region and South America. I also do not believe the Aruban government will shutdown the airline, but if the local carrier is wrong would look for ways to solve the matter. The government would not want them to be wrong either since that would mean that the government departments have failed in giving proper screening. Which would make them look bad as well. The US government might ban the airline from flying to the US, but I think it will all come down to a warning and that the matter will be solved in some way. I think the fact that Aruba and the US have a good relationship helps. Politics.... The Dutch media can be dramatic when it comes to Dutch Caribbean issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:11 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Eddy, regarding your last remark, the UN issued an investigation into the matter of forcefully deporting two dissidents from Cuba on planes of Aruba Airlines. They demand an explanation of the Dutch and Aruban government. It was also published in Aruba News, including the fact that the airline is actually owned by a Venezuelan businessman. That is not the Dutch press acting dramatic. Also, in matters of the airlines, it is the Dutch government that is responsable for Aruba. It is not enough that the Aruban government will want to solve the matter, the Dutch government must accept this solution as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Isn't getting out of Cuba a good thing?

Maybe we should be thanking Aruba Airlines. They may have saved their lives.

So no one in Aruba or Dutch governments knew this guy bought the "official" airline of Aruba. Come on!