The Aruba Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Holiday Inn Palapas
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:41 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I think it would be a big mistake for any citizen not to feel welcome anywhere in their country . I go to Maui often and the beach get's very crowded. Can you imagine tourist or hotels making citizens not feel welcome on Kapalua beach ? :lol:
Trust me no amount of money from tourists would make that acceptable. The palapa thing makes the tourists feel a false sense of entitlement and that is the fault of the government . You can't blame someone who comes to Aruba and sees a palapa in front of the hotel beach and want to use it . If the hotel charges or gives their client chairs and a umbrella this problem is solved . The government should just get rid of palapas :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:27 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I would miss the palapa, chikee, or whichever it may be refered to. It is so much of being in a tropical environment to me. I do believe the citizens should be able to use the palapas as well. As for umbrellas, I can stay home and see them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

jaccli wrote:
I think it would be a big mistake for any citizen not to feel welcome anywhere in their country . I go to Maui often and the beach get's very crowded. Can you imagine tourist or hotels making citizens not feel welcome on Kapalua beach ? :lol:
Trust me no amount of money from tourists would make that acceptable. The palapa thing makes the tourists feel a false sense of entitlement and that is the fault of the government . You can't blame someone who comes to Aruba and sees a palapa in front of the hotel beach and want to use it . If the hotel charges or gives their client chairs and a umbrella this problem is solved . The government should just get rid of palapas :D

interested to know which hotel you stay at while in aruba? might shed some light on your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:01 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

After having a couple bouts of surgery on my face to remove cancerous basel cells because of over-exposure to the sun, I need the shade of a palapa for most of the day. We do like to take beach walks and spend some time in the ocean, so I "lather" up with a good sun screen (now using one without oxybenzone) and a full brimmed hat.

If it wasn't for the palapa's we wouldn't be able to enjoy the beaches in Aruba, or any other destination.
I have "caved in" to the hotel policy of renting a palapa on a daily basis so I can be assured of the shade I need, while still enjoying everything else that Aruba has to offer. (even though this is supposed to be illegal, by law).

I used to get in line at 5:30 a.m. when we used to stay at the Marriott, but my wife was always being disturbed when I left the room and returned. And the afternoon line for next day sign up cut into an enjoyable and restful afternoon on the beach. Even though I got a good location most of the time, we still wanted the "assurance" that the palapa would be there when we came down after breakfast, and would still be there when we went to lunch or took a beach walk or a dip in ocean. And I refuse to be "hooked" to a computer while on vacation, so doing the reservation think on line does not work for us. I don't even want to bring my phone, but my credit card company is practically forcing me to because they keep sending me messages every time I use my credit card, so I can approve the sale as not being wrongfully charged.

We now stay at the Hyatt for our visits, and the palapa policy is working for us. We did stay at the Bucuti a couple of times, and the palapa "problem" was no problem as they have umbrella's for every room, so you don't have to go out early to claim one for the day. But, we found ourselves taking a taxi to the high rise area most every night for the restaurants and shops. So, we have returned to Palm Beach because of the proximity of walking to the spots we like to visit.

Will be returning in May and this time our son and daughter-in-law will be joining us for their first visit. I already have reserved the palapa's on the beach for both of us. So we will see if the "new" enforcement law will have any impact.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:32 am 
Prolific

We have been very lucky so far at Costa Linda concerning availability goes for palpas, but our week at La Cabana is very cut throat and it does take away from why you are here in the first place - to relaxxxx! Hope the government doesn't keep getting more greedy. If they expand on the south side of the island it should be a win/ win for everyone!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:07 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

gaspumper wrote:
We have been very lucky so far at Costa Linda concerning availability goes for palpas, but our week at La Cabana is very cut throat and it does take away from why you are here in the first place - to relaxxxx! Hope the government doesn't keep getting more greedy. If they expand on the south side of the island it should be a win/ win for everyone!!

How is making sure the palapas can be used by all for free making the government more greedy?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:59 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

20 years ago la cabana then Divi . Where I stay has nothing to do about how I feel about palapas. I think they are ugly as hell :( not to mention they cause a lot of problems . Seeing a beach first thing in the morning in it's natural state is beautiful . Just my opinion :D if they get rid of them or build more palapas it won't change my mind about coming to Aruba .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:34 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

jaccli wrote:
20 years ago la cabana then Divi . Where I stay has nothing to do about how I feel about palapas. I think they are ugly as hell :( not to mention they cause a lot of problems . Seeing a beach first thing in the morning in it's natural state is beautiful . Just my opinion :D if they get rid of them or build more palapas it won't change my mind about coming to Aruba .

SET THE PALAPAS FREE!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 am 
Prolific

I don't get what all the fuss is about. The beach is public. If you want to construct a palapa on the beach, the government has the right to charge you "x" amount per palapa to put it on their property. In turn, the resort has a right to then provide use of said palapa to their guest how ever they see fit. Either the resorts absorbs the fees, adds it to the MF or rental fees, or institutes a rental fee for the palapa would be entirely up to them. It would also eliminate cruise passengers from being dropped of and being told to "have at it". The resort is now paying for the palapa and can say who can and can't use it. I have no idea what the average palapa number is per resort, but lets say it is 30. I have read that some places are already charging $25 per day to reserve one. 30 x $25 =$750 per day x 365 = $273,750 per year. I don't think the government will charge that much! It would also solve many of the other issues associated with them. Once this all gets sorted out, maybe it will be a good thing?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:30 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

jaccli wrote:
I think it would be a big mistake for any citizen not to feel welcome anywhere in their country.

I don't think is about making the citizens feel unwelcome. I don't know why they would WANT to be there. Think about any tourist area near where you live, do you want to go there? I don't live too far from Times Square and that is the last place I want to spend any time. I would imagine for Arubans it is the same. I doubt they want to spend much time at the Hilton (just as an example) that is overrun with American tourists. I don't think allowing (or not allowing) locals on Palm beach really makes one bit of difference to them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:55 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

It's interesting how a tourist knows what a local wants or needs . :D I live in a area where many tourist come and they love it . :D So do I :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

jaccli wrote:
It's interesting how a tourist knows what a local wants or needs . :D I live in a area where many tourist come and they love it . :D So do I :D

You are so right. Many of my Aruban friends love the beach and are complaining that there is hardly a beach left that is not packed with tourists. And don’t forget: many of them book a weekend at a Palm Beach hotel or own a timeshare week. That is how they celebrate their holiday.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:46 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I love the beach, and love spending my vacation days ( and dollars$$$$) lounging on the beach. But I'm fair skinned, and even with a thick layer of sunscreen, I cannot sit in the sun all day with no shade. So, the ever-growing palapa problem, along with rising costs of accommodations, food and drink have made me think twice about Aruba as my go-to destination. I won't be going this year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:49 am 
Junior

beachjack wrote:
A friend who was there last week, told me that Holiday Inn moved most of the palapas to be behind the big blue monuments that mark the line for public beach as apposed to hotel owned beach in the area between the towel hut and the two water sports huts close to the pier. He also commented that the open area in front of the palapas is now very large.

I was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny this. I would be supersized if the hotel made that move. as it would remove or relocate many palapas. It might be he was mistaken and the beach just got bigger as it sometimes does.

Hi Beachjack , have you gotten an answer to your post LOL !!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:33 am 
Senior

Didn’t expect so many replies but thanks to all.
Just returned from 2 weeks at Holiday Inn Aruba. The beach and palapas situation is not settled as the government says that all are to be cleared from the public part of the beach by March 1st 2019 but hotels are still pushing back. Here is what I was told and observed:
1. Walking the beach/boardwalk from the Marriot to the Divi. Each hotel has many or all palapas and beach building structures over the blue monument line. HI has about 60% over the line. The entire towel hut and 30% of sea breeze restaurant is over the line.
2. The situation is worse for the Hilton, RUI and Divi as all are over the line.
3. HI hired a survey company that came in with satellite-based equipment while I was there and I watched them put in orange stakes in the ground to confirm the public-privet line. The stakes were not much different that the blue monuments.
4. Now with the survey done, the next step is to have the government come in and review and then negotiate exactly how many Palapas will be removed and if they need to remove beach structures as well.
5. If HI is told to move more palapas there tentative plan is to install and remove umbrellas each day for shade. If you are a high-status member, they may be free. Everyone else will have to pay a yet to be determined daily rental fee. This fee will cover the cost of additional staff needed to accomplish the extra work.
As I said this is still undefined but this is what they are thinking as of now, but that may change depending on the final determination of what needs to be moved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next