The Aruba Forums
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:08 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

The following was on the local Boston area news tonight. Very interesting.

"In May 2017, Willem-Alexander revealed that he had served as a co-pilot on KLM flights for 21 years, flying KLM Cityhopper's Fokker 70s twice a month, even after his ascension to the throne. With KLM's phased retirement of the Fokker 70, he began training to fly Boeing 737s. Willem-Alexander was rarely recognized while in the KLM uniform and wearing the KLM cap, though a few passengers had recognized his voice, even though he never gave his name and only welcomed passengers on behalf of the captain and crew." (Source is Wikipedia.)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:53 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I saw that! I wonder if he ever collected his pay? I've been puzzling who he reminded me of, I think it's the singer, Steve Lawrence.

"A Free Spirit On An Endless Flight."

CHARLES-BROUNS Jr.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:40 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

johntheott wrote:
I saw that! I wonder if he ever collected his pay? I've been puzzling who he reminded me of, I think it's the singer, Steve Lawrence.

He is not getting paid for it. I think he is one cool king. I went to university with him. We both studied history in the same year.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:32 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

--DD, that's a gas! I"m wondering if you and he were in the same class at some time. That really would be exciting!! Since KLM is a government air line he would not really have to be paid. Also remaining a first officer! Probably because he can't acquire the necessary flight hours or he likes the view from the right hand seat!

. I could probably fin outFine looking person with a lovely family. (I read the whole wikipedia article!)

Our next-door neighbors are now living in The Netherlands on a temporary assignment. They've been there for over a year and absolutely love it! I forget the name of the town they're living in but I could probably find out!

I see you just returned from Aruba. We missed last year due to illness. No fun, i have been laid up for a while. We have reservations for November but we'll have to see how things work out.

"A Free Spirit On An Endless Flight."

CHARLES-BROUNS Jr.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:21 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hi John, you know, they say about us that we are a republic with a royal family. So they are not allowed to act too regal to begin with. And yes, we were taking the same classes for some time. I always kind of felt bad for him because people did treat him different and you could see he didn't like that.

After university I in fact also worked 3 years for his mother while she was queen. With 32 people we were her cabinet (staff) for her official duties as a queen (signing laws, meeting the priminister and ministers, visiting other head of states etc).

Nice to hear that your friends are liking my country. I think it is pretty laidback as well.

And I am actually on Aruba right now. Just day 2 of 22 days. Too bad you had health issues. But I do hope you will have a trip in November that is twice as nice to make up for it.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:16 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hmmmmm.....day 4 or 5 in Aruba and not a single restaurant review yet??????Home cookin only??????

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:19 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes, most of the time it is home cooking.